Today was my 28 week prenatal appt/Glucose screening. I met with Dr. Gunnells today and while he is nice, he's not very personable. But everything with Anders checks out great, my blood pressure is still on target (122/64) and my urinalysis is free & clear. I asked him about the swelling; I've had two incidents of it in the past week and it was worse on Saturday when we went to Homestead Hollow and I was walking around for an extended period of time in the hot afternoon sun. My hands looked like fat sausages! He said that it's normal considering the time of year and activity, but if I start to notice more swelling in my hands & face at random times, then I need to let them know.
The glucose test started well. I knew I would be drinking 5oz. of the orange stuff, but was happy to see it was a smaller dose than I expected. I swigged it down and began my hour long wait, which came rather quickly considering I got to see the dr. in between. Gave blood, scheduled my next prenatal appt. for Friday, June 4th and our 3D/4D ultrasound(!!!) for Monday, June 7th and moseyed my way out of the dr's office. I fully expected to get a call about elevated levels, but certainly did not expect it 1 hour and 45 min. later. And of course, the news was not great, not horrible, but not great. I didn't fail (technically); with a limit of 140, I got a 130. Which to a normal person without PCOS would be fine, but for me, means I gotta take the 3 hour test. Damn you, PCOS! The lab nurse even made a point to tell me that the girl that was there with me getting the test also received a 130, but since she's not cursed with the dreaded PCOS, she's skating through the rest of her pregnancy. Thanks a lot. So begins my 3-day modified diet, which wouldn't be so bad if the portions weren't incredibly small and if my body would stop craving Mexican and chicken fingers. I go back on Tuesday (5/18) for the 3 hour and I have no idea how my system will react. I really don't want to be on insulin for the remainder of this pregnancy. I do, however, want everything to work right and certainly do not need a 12 lb. baby which could feasibly happen it my sugar counts aren't kept in check. Ugh. Not looking forward to that appt.
A bit of sunshine on the horizon though: My brother graduates from high school in a week and a half!! I'm taking off the week of May 24-28, so I can go to Georgia to see him walk. I can't believe he's graduating! Insane how fast things pass you by. The week will also be spent relaxing and spending some time with Charlie. It will be one of our last few extended periods of time together, alone, before this little rugrat makes his much anticipated appearance.
The glucose test started well. I knew I would be drinking 5oz. of the orange stuff, but was happy to see it was a smaller dose than I expected. I swigged it down and began my hour long wait, which came rather quickly considering I got to see the dr. in between. Gave blood, scheduled my next prenatal appt. for Friday, June 4th and our 3D/4D ultrasound(!!!) for Monday, June 7th and moseyed my way out of the dr's office. I fully expected to get a call about elevated levels, but certainly did not expect it 1 hour and 45 min. later. And of course, the news was not great, not horrible, but not great. I didn't fail (technically); with a limit of 140, I got a 130. Which to a normal person without PCOS would be fine, but for me, means I gotta take the 3 hour test. Damn you, PCOS! The lab nurse even made a point to tell me that the girl that was there with me getting the test also received a 130, but since she's not cursed with the dreaded PCOS, she's skating through the rest of her pregnancy. Thanks a lot. So begins my 3-day modified diet, which wouldn't be so bad if the portions weren't incredibly small and if my body would stop craving Mexican and chicken fingers. I go back on Tuesday (5/18) for the 3 hour and I have no idea how my system will react. I really don't want to be on insulin for the remainder of this pregnancy. I do, however, want everything to work right and certainly do not need a 12 lb. baby which could feasibly happen it my sugar counts aren't kept in check. Ugh. Not looking forward to that appt.
A bit of sunshine on the horizon though: My brother graduates from high school in a week and a half!! I'm taking off the week of May 24-28, so I can go to Georgia to see him walk. I can't believe he's graduating! Insane how fast things pass you by. The week will also be spent relaxing and spending some time with Charlie. It will be one of our last few extended periods of time together, alone, before this little rugrat makes his much anticipated appearance.
No comments:
Post a Comment