As previously promised, I visited the general practitioner, Dr. Lamberson. After a lengthy discussion about fertility (he and his wife went through several years of infertility and he was offering advice on which RE to use), he broke the bad news: I have esophagitis. And for those of you who clicked on the link, no I don't not have any form of herpes, nor a yeast infection in my throat! Haha. He said that 20% of people with acid reflux (GERD) never show any signs until it has progressed as far as mine has. I occasionally felt some slight stomach pain which was cured with a swig of Pepto Bismol and since I was injecting myself with all those hormones I just figured it was caused by that.
Of course, he played the Dr. role and gave me all of the "what can happen to you if you do not follow my doctorly advice" worst case scenarios: ulcers, Barrett's Syndrome...CANCER! I certainly do not want any part of the aforementioned conditions, so I'll follow his orders. So, for the next 30 days I'll be taking one drug 4x a day! And then when that is finished, I begin a regimen of another drug for approximately 12 weeks.
What's the Speed Bump, you ask (other than the obvious inconvenience of swallowing a bajillion pills over the next 4 months!)? I CANNOT GET PREGNANT DURING TREATMENT! If I were to get pregnant, then I would have to stop taking the meds. Stop taking the meds and the cells will turn against me and begin their evil evolution. As painful as it is to think about, I suppose I'll stop the fertility treatments, in lieu of this development. It just makes me really sad to think about the progress we were making and now it has to come to a halt. A second opinion will be a must from my GYN, who I have the pleasure of seeing on Thursday. I'm pretty sure she'll say the same thing; even if she didn't, Charlie won't let us try. Apparently my health is something that he finds important.
Needless to say, it's going to be a long 4 months. I plan to spend it sewing, I just sewed a coke can coozie, and losing weight. I joined SparkPeople and want to lose the 15lbs. I've put on during this hormonal induced year, plus the other 40lbs. that have been lingering around since the early two-thousands. Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment